We offer many different programs and services at McKinley to help every child succeed academically and develop skills for becoming lifelong learners. Some of these programs include an after school literacy program, a mentoring partnership with Burlingame High School, primary and upper grade book clubs, and strong programs in early literacy and English as a second language. We provide additional academic support through specialists who assists students in music, physical education, early literacy, library, English language development and technology.
In addition, our strong technology program supports instruction with a fully equipped computer lab. Each classroom also contains clusters of computers for student use. Computers are supplemented with laser discs, instructional television, video cameras, digital cameras, and scanners.
Many of our programs are made possible by the strong support of our parent community. At McKinley School parents are welcomed and encouraged to get involved in their child’s education.
Our school services include:
- Paws for Reading – Summer Reading Program. Started this past summer our reading program was developed to help students continue to read over the summer. In collaboration with the Burlingame Public Library we developed a program that will invite students to step up to their next year’s reading requirement. We hope to continue to foster a life-long love of reading in all of our students.
- Literacy Academy. Up to four credentialed teachers serve small groups of children who have been identified by assessments in requiring additional support in learning to read and become fluent readers. We offer literacy academies to K- 3 students both in school and after school.
- ELD/EO Time. Four days a week our daily schedule includes a time dedicated to assisting our second language learners in mastering English. Small groups of EL(English Learners) students will be working with teachers on specific English development and our fluent English speakers will be using our California Sate Standards for Science as a content area.
- Homework Club. Three times a week we offer an after school homework club that is staffed with credentialed teachers and high school tutors. The purpose of this club is to assist struggling students with homework completion in a focused, supportive environment.
- ESL for Adults. Adult ESL classes are held twice a week in the morning to assist our second language parents in learning English. These classes are offered by Irada Yuzbash, our EL educator.
- Math Club. Sponsored by PTA we invite students to join our McKinley Math Club that meets once a month to investigate, and solve challenging Math problems.